- 1 medium eggplant, about 1 pound
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 3 vine tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup grated mizithra cheese, optional
- 2 tablespoons butter, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons minced parsley for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the eggplant crosswise in 1/2 inch slices, then cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Preheat oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant and stir to coat with the oil. The eggplant may soak all of the oil; this is okay. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and continue to saute for five minutes, until the eggplant has softened.
- Add onions and saute for another five minutes. The eggplant and onion will both melt down slightly.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and cook for an additional minute. Season with the remaining salt, black pepper, and oregano.
- Add rice and bay leaf and stir to combine.
- Stir in chicken stock, top with grated cheese, and dot with butter.
- Place in the oven, uncovered, and bake for thirty minutes, until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Garnish with parsley and serve!