For the tendy chicken
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- Chicken thigh
- U4 cup tomato juice,droned from the diced tomatoes used in the sauce later
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp roughly grated fresh ginger
- U2 tsp salt
- U2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tsp tandoorimasala,or 1tbsp chili powder
- tsp pinch chili flakes,or 112 crushed chili paste
- 1tsp paprika
- 1tsp garam masala
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1tbsp smoked paprika
- 1tsp yellow curry powder
- 1tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander seed
- 1tsp cumin
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tbsp peanut oil, or other vegetable oil
- 2 medium sized onions, diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1cup chicken stock
- 1tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup whipping cream, optional or add 3/4 cup yogurt
- Trim the chicken pieces of any excess visible fat. If using chicken breasts curt them into 2 or three pieces. Thighs, i usually leave whole. The chicken will be cut into smaller pieces later anyway.
- Mix all of the ingredients in the marinade together and add the chicken. You
- can do this in a large ziploc bag or in a covered glass bowl. Make sure all of the chicken pieces are well coated and leave to marinate in the fridge for
- anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight.
- Do not scrape off the marinade before cooking it on a gas grill, a hot cast iron grill pan, or on a rack about 6 inches from your broiler.
- The chicken should get good char marks on the grill or grill pan or a speckle of char under the broiler. My chicken thighs took about 20 minutes under the
- Chicken Tikka Masala – a curry classic the easy way.
- FOR THE SAUCE
broiler, turning once. Set the cooked chicken aside to rest for a few minutes and cut into bite sized pieces before adding it to the Tikka Masala sauce.
Mix together the smoked paprika, yellow curry powder. garam masala. coriander seed, cumin, turmeric, cloves and cardamom. Set aside to add later.
In a small dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until the onions soften and just begin to turn golden.
Add the spices you mixed earlier and let them heat up for a minute or so as you toss them with the cooked onions.
Add the diced tomatoes, chicken stock and honey.
Simmer slowly for 20 minutes before adding the chicken pieces and simmering for an additionallO minutes. If using cream or yogurt in the sauce, add it with the chicken as well.
Serve over plain steamed rice or with warm naan.