- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 700g top quality, fresh salmon
- 150g smoked salmon (unsliced)
- 50g shallots , peeled
- small bunch dill
- 75g jar cocktail gherkins , drained
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- flaky sea salt
- 1 lemon , juiced
- 100g horseradish sauce
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 100g crème fraîche
- 1 head of celery , cut into pieces, and rye crackers, to serve
- STEP 1Lightly toast the caraway seeds in a dry pan, then set aside to cool. Very finely chop the fresh and smoked salmon, shallots, dill (save a little for the garnish), gherkins and apple. The pieces should be about the size of a petit pois pea. This can be done up to a day before serving, cover well and store in the fridge.
- STEP 2Just before serving, season well with flaky salt, and mix with the caraway seeds, lemon juice, horseradish sauce, 50ml extra virgin olive oil and the crème fraîche. Divide the salmon between eight plates, garnish with the rest of the crème fraîche, drizzle with the remaining olive oil and sprinkle over some dill. Serve with rye crackers and celery for dipping and spreading the salmon on.